IOS 17 introduces an exciting new feature called Clock mode (use clock mode in ios 17)that allows you to turn your iPhone’s lock screen into a customizable clock face. With Clock mode, you can transform your lock screen into a bedside alarm clock, calendar display, photo frame, or completely unique creation.
Recent Released: iOS 17 FaceTime Hand Gesture Brings New Reactions
Follow these steps to use Clock mode on your iPhone running iOS 17:
Activating and use clock mode in ios 17
- Make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 17. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for and install the latest updates.
- Connect your iPhone to a charger and place it on a flat surface, laying it on its side. This will activate StandBy mode.
- Without touching any buttons, wait for the screen to dim and display a swirling blue icon. This indicates your iPhone has entered StandBy.
- Gently swipe left and right along the bottom edge of the screen to scroll through the different StandBy widget options.
- When you see the clock face, swipe up along the bottom edge to “set” it as your StandBy display.
Your iPhone will now show the clock as your lock screen whenever it’s idle, charging, and laying on its side.
Customizing the Clock Face
The default clock style in Clock mode is the Cupertino face, but you can customize it by following these steps:
- With your iPhone showing the clock in StandBy, long press in the middle of the screen.
- Unlock your iPhone if prompted by scanning your face or entering your passcode.
- This will open the customization options for Clock mode. Here you can:
- Swipe left and right to browse different preset clock face styles
- Tap the plus icon in the upper left to add custom widgets
- Long press any clock or widget to edit its style and settings
- Drag widgets up or down to rearrange their order
- When you’re happy with your custom clock design, press Done to save your changes.
The clock will now display your chosen design whenever your iPhone enters StandBy mode. Feel free to continue customizing it until you have the perfect lock screen.
In addition to clocks, you can add widget stacks to your StandBy screen in Clock mode.
- With Clock mode activated, long press the middle of the display and unlock your iPhone if prompted.
- Tap the plus icon in the top left corner.
- Swipe through the available widgets like Calendar, Reminders, Maps, etc.
- Tap a widget to add it to the right or left side of the clock.
- Repeat to add multiple widgets. Up to four can fit on each side.
- Long press a widget to edit its settings or drag to rearrange.
- Press Done to save your widget stack.
Now when your iPhone enters StandBy mode, you’ll see your chosen widgets beside the central clock! Swipe left/right to scroll through them.
Some users have reported issues getting Clock mode to work properly, but there are a few troubleshooting steps to try:
- If the clock shows the wrong time zone, tap the widget to flip it around, then tap the city name to set your local time zone.
- If the clock reverts to Cupertino style, delete it and re-add a clock widget from scratch. This should reset it.
- If StandBy doesn’t activate, double check your iPhone is running iOS 17, connected to power, and laying on its side on a flat surface.
- Soft reset your iPhone by holding the Volume Up and Power buttons for 10+ seconds to force restart it.
- As a last resort, back up your iPhone and restore to factory settings. Set up as new (not from backup) to purge any corrupted StandBy settings.
With a bit of customization, Clock mode can become the perfect bedside companion or charging station display. Let us know if any other issues crop up!
Clock Mode FAQ
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about using Clock mode on iOS 17:
Does Clock mode use more battery?
No, Clock mode doesn’t drain additional battery since the screen is off. The clock widgets only activate when your iPhone enters low-power StandBy.
Can I use Clock mode while charging wirelessly?
Yes, Clock mode works with wireless MagSafe chargers in addition to wired Lightning cables. Simply place your iPhone on its side on the charging pad.
Do notifications display over Clock mode?
No, incoming notifications will not appear over the StandBy clock screen. Your iPhone must be unlocked and awake to view notifications.
Can I use Clock mode while my iPhone is vertical?
Unfortunately no, Clock mode only activates when your device is placed horizontally on its side. The iPhone uses its accelerometer to detect the orientation.
Does Apple offer more clock designs?
So far Apple only includes the Cupertino clock face and 12 different color variants. But you can use third-party apps to install custom clock designs. The app Clockology is popular for this.
Can I use a photo as the clock background?
Yes! Long press the default clock widget, tap Customize, then select Photos. Here you can pick an image from your library to set as the background.
Why doesn’t Siri work from the StandBy screen?
For privacy and security, Apple has disabled Siri voice commands while the iPhone is locked and StandBy is active. You’ll need to fully wake your device to use Siri.
Clock mode provides iPhone users with an easy way to transform their lock screen into a personal bedside clock or photo frame. With full customization over clock designs and supplemental widgets, you can craft the perfect lock screen to suit your needs and style. Just be sure your device is up to date with iOS 17, connect it to power, and place it on its side to experience the magic of Clock mode. Let us know if you have any other questions!