So, you have decided to move to iOS from Android. I must say it is a smart choice.
Switching from an Android phone to an iPhone can be intimidating, especially when considering the process of transferring your valuable data.
However, Apple has simplified this task by introducing the Move to iOS app, which facilitates a smooth transfer of your data.
For novice users, this may seem a complex task. Thus, I have created this guide to make everything simple when it comes to using Move to iOS apps to transfer data from Android to iOS.
Also Check: How to Switch from Android to iOS
Move to iOS App: Things to Know Before Using
Before using the Move to iOS app, it’s important to prepare both devices for the transfer process. Here’s what you need to do:
- Connect to Wi-Fi and Charge Devices: Make sure both your Android and iPhone devices are connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into a power source. This ensures a stable connection and prevents any interruptions due to low battery.
- Check Storage Space: Verify that there is enough storage space on your iPhone for the content you plan to transfer from your Android device. This will prevent any errors or issues during the transfer process.
- Start During iPhone Setup: Ideally, you should begin the Move to iOS app process during the initial setup of your iPhone, before completing the entire process. If you’ve already set up your iPhone, you can still transfer your data manually, or you can erase your iPhone and start the setup process from scratch.
How to Download the Move to iOS App on Your Android Phone
Before you can transfer data, you need to download and install the Move to iOS app on your Android phone. Here’s how to do that:
Step #1: Access the Google Play Store
Go to the Google Play Store on your Android phone.
Step #2: Search for the Move to iOS App
Type “Move to iOS” in the search bar and locate the app.
Step #3: Download and Install
Download the Move to iOS app and install it on your Android device.
Step #4: Grant Permissions
Once installed, open the app and grant it the necessary permissions for accessing your contacts, calendar, photos, media, and SMS messages. This will enable the app to transfer your data to your iPhone.
How to Transfer Data from Android to Your iPhone Using Move to iOS App
Now that you have the Move to iOS app on your Android device, you can begin the transfer process. Follow these steps:
Step #1 – Initiate Transfer on iPhone: During the setup process of your iPhone, you will reach the “Apps & Data” screen. Select “Move Data from Android.”
Step #2 – Retrieve Transfer Code: Your iPhone will display a six-digit or 10-digit code. Enter this code on your Android device within the Move to iOS app.
Step #3 – Connect Devices: Tap “Continue” and “Connect” on your Android phone. The Transfer Data screen will appear, allowing you to select the data you want to transfer to your iPhone.
Step #4 – Select Data for Transfer: Choose the content you wish to transfer, such as your Google account, messages, contacts, accessibility, and display settings.
Step #5 – Start the Transfer Process: Tap “Continue” to initiate the data transfer process. Make sure to leave both devices alone until the loading bar on your iPhone finishes, which might take some time, depending on the amount of content being transferred.
Once the transfer is complete, you’ll need to finalize the process and ensure all your data is in place. To do this:
- Confirm Transfer Completion: When the transfer finishes, tap “Done” on your Android device.
- Finish iPhone Setup: On your iPhone, tap “Continue Setting Up iPhone” and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup process.
- Verify Transferred Data: Once the setup is complete, verify that all your data has been transferred correctly. Check your contacts, messages, photos, and other content to ensure everything is in place.
What Gets Transferred and What Doesn’t
It’s important to know which data will be transferred through the Move to iOS app and which data will require manual intervention. The app transfers:
- Message history
- Camera photos and videos
- Web bookmarks
- Mail accounts
However, it will not directly transfer:
- Google Photos
- Google Drive documents
- Music files
- Downloaded books
- PDFs stored on your Android phone
To transfer files such as music, books, and PDFs, you will need to manually move them from your Android phone to your computer and then add them to your iPhone using Finder or the appropriate app, like iTunes, Apple Music, or iCloud Photos.
How to Download Android Apps on Your iPhone
After the transfer, you may want to install the iOS versions of the Android apps you previously had. To do this:
- Wait for the Pop-up: After the transfer, a pop-up may appear on your iPhone’s home screen, offering to download the iOS versions of the Android apps you previously had.
- Download Apps: Accept the offer to download the apps, if desired. Note that some apps may not have an iOS counterpart. In this case, you can search for a similar app on the App Store or continue using your Android phone for that specific purpose.
- Organize Apps: Once the apps are downloaded, organize them on your iPhone according to your preference.
Manually Transferring Additional Data
If there is data that the Move to iOS app did not transfer, you can follow these steps to transfer it manually:
- Connect Android to Your Computer: Use a USB cable to connect your Android device to your computer.
- Locate Files on Android: On your computer, locate the files you wish to transfer, such as music, books, or PDFs.
- Copy Files to Your Computer: Copy the desired files from your Android phone to your computer.
- Transfer Files to iPhone: Add the copied files to your iPhone using Finder or the appropriate app, such as iTunes, Apple Music, or iCloud Photos.
The Move to iOS app simplifies the process of transferring data from your Android device to your iPhone, making the switch to iOS a seamless experience.
By following the steps mentioned above, you can ensure that all your valuable data is transferred safely to your new iPhone.
Transitioning to iOS has never been easier, and with this comprehensive guide, you can enjoy your new iPhone with all your important data intact.