Apple recently announced ios 17 compatible devices, the latest version of its mobile operating system for iPhones. iOS 17 brings new features like enhanced messaging, shared experiences, and more personalized features to your iPhone. But which devices will actually be ios 17 compatible devices with the new update?
Recent Released: How to Fax from an iPhone: A Complete Guide
ios 17 compatible devices extends back several years to include iPhone models as old as the iPhone XR and iPhone XS released in 2018.
The full list of compatible devices includes:
|iPhone XS Max|
|iPhone 11 Pro|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max|
|iPhone SE (2nd gen and later)|
|iPhone 12 mini|
|iPhone 12 Pro|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max|
|iPhone 13 mini|
|iPhone 13 Pro|
|iPhone 13 Pro Max|
|iPhone 14 Plus|
|iPhone 14 Pro|
|iPhone 14 Pro Max|
Essentially, this means that any iPhone from the iPhone XR and later will be able to update to iOS 17.
However, Apple is dropping support for earlier models starting with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. These devices were compatible with iOS 16 but will not be able to update to iOS 17.
Below we’ll take a closer look at exactly what devices are compatible, what’s being deprecated, and what key features iOS 17 will bring to your iPhone.
Supported iPhone Models: iPhone XR and Later
As mentioned above, iOS 17 compatibility reaches back to the 2018 iPhone XR and XS models.
Here’s a bit more detail on which iPhone models will support the latest OS:
- iPhone XS, XS Max: Released September 2018, the iPhone XS and XS Max represented Apple’s flagship models that year. With support extending to these models, iOS 17 compatibility reaches back 5 years.
- iPhone XR: Also released in September 2018, the iPhone XR was a lower cost alternative to the flagship XS models. It’s the oldest supported device.
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max: The 2019 iPhone models will also support iOS 17.
- iPhone SE 2nd Gen: The 2020 iPhone SE will be compatible with iOS 17.
- iPhone 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max: The full slate of iPhone 12 models released in 2020 will support iOS 17.
- iPhone 13 mini, 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max: Apple’s 2021 iPhone 13 lineup will be compatible.
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max: Apple’s brand new 2023 iPhones were announced alongside iOS 17 and will ship with it pre-installed.
Essentially if you bought an iPhone in 2018 or later, you’ll be able to install iOS 17. Only the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and original iPhone X are being dropped from support.
iOS 17 Compatibility: Models No Longer Supported
While iOS 17 supports devices going back to 2018’s iPhone XR and XS, older models are being left behind.
iOS 17 says goodbye to compatibility with:
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus: Released in 2017, the iPhone 8 generation marked the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone. These models are now discontinued.
- iPhone X: Also released in 2017, the iPhone X introduced the notched display and Face ID to Apple’s smartphones.
These models were supported under iOS 16, but cannot be upgraded to iOS 17. If you’re still holding onto an older iPhone 8 series device or iPhone X, you’ll be stuck on iOS 16.
Key Features Coming in iOS 17
What new features and upgrades can you expect when you install iOS 17 on your compatible iPhone?
Here’s a quick look at some of the key additions:
- Enhanced messaging: New messaging features will allow you to recall sent messages, mark conversations as unread, and more.
- Shared experiences: iOS 17 makes sharing content, media, and more seamless between nearby devices.
- More personalized features: Updates like sleep modes, medications tracking, and fitness enhancements deliver a more customized experience.
- Clean Energy Charging: This focuses charging patterns to less carbon intensive times, reducing your carbon footprint.
- Updated interface: A fresh new look updates the Lock Screen, notifications, and more.
- And more: Apple is likely holding some surprises and unannounced iOS 17 features and enhancements.
Overall iOS 17 promises to deliver helpful new capabilities while retaining the security, stability, and performance you expect.
Will Your iPhone Run iOS 17? A Quick Compatibility Check
Wondering if your iPhone will be compatible with the iOS 17 upgrade?
Here’s a quick compatibility checklist:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus: No, these models released in 2017 are NOT compatible with iOS 17.
- iPhone X: No, while the original 2017 iPhone X supported up to iOS 16, it is not compatible with iOS 17.
- iPhone XR, iPhone XS: Yes, these 2018 models are compatible with iOS 17.
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max: Yes, the 2019 iPhones are compatible.
- iPhone 12 mini, 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max: Yes, the 2020 iPhone 12 lineup is compatible.
- iPhone 13 mini, 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max: Yes, the 2021 iPhones are supported.
- iPhone 14 models: Yes, the latest 2022 iPhones ship with iOS 17 pre-installed.
So in summary, the iPhone XR and newer will be able to upgrade to iOS 17 when it is released in September 2023. Only the iPhone 8 generation and iPhone X are being dropped from compatibility.
FAQs About iOS 17 Compatibility
Q: What older iPhones are compatible with iOS 17?
A: The iPhone XR and iPhone XS released in 2018 are the oldest iPhones compatible with iOS 17.
Q: Can an iPhone 8 update to iOS 17?
A: No, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are not compatible with iOS 17. These models top out at iOS 16.
Q: Does iOS 17 work on iPhone X?
A: Unfortunately, no. The original iPhone X is not supported by iOS 17.
Q: What about my iPhone 7 or earlier models?
A: iOS 17 will not be available for the iPhone 7 generation or earlier models. Only iPhone XR and later will get iOS 17.
Q: If I have an older unsupported iPhone, should I upgrade to a newer device?
A: If you want to use iOS 17, you will need to purchase a newer supported iPhone model. However, even without software updates, older models can still safely be used.
Q: Will iOS 17 slow down my older iPhone model?
A: There are often concerns about newer OS versions slowing older devices. However, Apple designs iOS updates to maintain good performance on supported devices. iOS 17 should not significantly impact speed on your iPhone XR for example.
Q: How can I check iOS 17 compatibility before upgrading?
A: Once iOS 17 is released, you can check compatibility by going to Settings > General > Software Update. If you see the iOS 17 update available, your device is compatible.
The release of iOS 17 will introduce new features and updates to enhance messaging, shared experiences, personalization, and more. Compatibility extends back to 2018’s iPhone XR and XS, but drops the iPhone 8 generation and iPhone X. Check your iPhone model against the list above to see if you’ll be able to upgrade to iOS 17 when it launches in September 2023. The combination of new software and supported hardware will bring fun new capabilities to your daily iPhone experience.