Apple’s iOS 17 public beta offers early access to the latest iOS features and updates. As an exciting sneak peek at the future of iOS,install and use iOS 17 public beta allows you to test out all the new additions before the official release. However, as a test software, the public beta may contain bugs and be unstable.
This comprehensive guide will walk you through how to safely install and use iOS 17 public beta on your iPhone and offer tips for using the beta software.
Recent Released:Why Isn’t Crossfade Working in Apple Music and How to Fix It
Before installing the iOS 17 public beta, it is essential to check that your iPhone meets the minimum system requirements:
- iPhone model: iPhone 8 or later
- iOS version: iOS 16.0 or later
- Apple ID: You need an Apple ID to sign up for the beta program
- Sufficient storage: The iOS 17 beta requires at least 10GB of available storage space
- Backup: Complete a full iPhone backup first to protect your data
- Battery level: Your iPhone should be at least 50% charged
It is also strongly advised to install the beta on a secondary device, if possible, rather than your primary iPhone. As beta software is unstable, installing it on your main device risks potential data loss or other issues.
Enrolling in the Beta Program
Here are the steps to enroll your Apple ID in the iOS public beta program:
- On your iPhone, open the Safari browser and go to beta.apple.com.
- Tap on Sign up and enter your Apple ID details to log in.
- Read and accept the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement.
- On the next page, scroll down and under Get Started, tap on enroll your iOS device.
- Select iOS from the list of platforms.
- Tap on the Download profile button and allow the profile to be downloaded.
You are now enrolled in the program and can proceed with installing the beta.
Installing the iOS 17 Public Beta
Once enrolled, you can install the iOS 17 public beta by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Navigate to Profile Downloaded and tap on the iOS 17 beta software profile.
- Tap Install in the upper right corner and enter your passcode when prompted.
- Read the consent form and tap Install in the upper right corner to confirm.
- Wait for the software profile to be installed. You will be notified once the profile is installed successfully.
- Next, go to Settings > General > Software Update. The iOS 17 public beta update should now appear.
- Tap Download and Install. Be patient as the update will take time to download and install.
Your iPhone will reboot a few times during the installation process. When completed, iOS 17 public beta will be running on your device.
New Features in iOS 17 Public Beta
The iOS 17 public beta introduces exciting new updates and additions across the system. Here are some of the key new features to test out:
Visual Look and Feel
- New system wallpapers: iOS 17 includes stunning new wallpapers to customize your lock screen.
- Redesigned system apps: System apps like Weather and Clock have been visually refreshed.
- Animated notification banners: Notification banners are more interactive with animations.
Lock Screen and Notifications
- Multiple lock screens: You can create and customize different lock screen looks to swap between.
- Interactive notifications: Live Activities makes notifications more dynamic with real-time updates.
Focus Mode and Messages
- Focus filters: Granularly filter app notifications and home screen pages by Focus mode.
- SharePlay in Messages: SharePlay now works directly in iMessage conversations.
- Message edit and unsend: You can now edit and unsend recently sent messages.
Camera and Photos
- New depth effect: A dramatic depth effect makes portraits more professional.
- Remove photo background: Instantly remove the background from photos with one tap.
Other New Features
- Safety Check: Quickly revoke account access granted to others.
- Apple Pay Later: Pay for purchases in four interest-free installments over six weeks.
- Apple Card Savings: Automatically save your Daily Cash rewards in a high yield account.
- Live Text video: Live Text now works with video to quickly grab text.
- Secure image hashing: iMessage scans images for Child Safety material using on-device hashing.
How to Use iOS 17 Public Beta
When using the iOS 17 public beta, keep these tips in mind:
- Be prepared for bugs and performance issues. The beta is not polished software.
- Important data and settings may become corrupted. Do not install the beta on your primary device.
- Carefully test apps and features before relying on them. Certain apps may not fully work.
- Backup your iPhone before (and while) running the beta. This provides restore points.
- Monitor battery life and heat. The beta may drain battery quicker.
- Provide feedback to Apple on issues you encounter via the Feedback Assistant app.
- Do not install the beta close to the official iOS 17 release, as you may need to reinstall the GM seed.
- Exit the beta program when desired by uninstalling the software profile under Settings.
Overall, use caution when running the iOS 17 public beta. But enjoy getting an early look at the future of iOS!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about the iOS 17 public beta:
How do I exit the iOS 17 public beta?
To opt out of the public beta program, go to Settings > General > Profile, select the iOS 17 beta software profile, and tap Remove Profile. This will downgrade your device back to the latest public iOS release.
Can I restore my iPhone from a backup while on the iOS 17 public beta?
Yes, you can use an existing iPhone backup to restore your data on the beta. Just be sure the backup was made before installing the beta.
Will my apps work on the iOS 17 public beta?
Most apps should work, but some may exhibit bugs or crashes. Check with the app developer to see if an update is required for iOS 17 compatibility.
Is iOS 17 public beta stable enough for daily use?
No, the public beta is pre-release test software and recommended for secondary devices only. Bugs and performance issues are to be expected.
How do I provide feedback about issues with the iOS 17 public beta?
Use the Feedback Assistant app to report bugs, issues, or suggestions directly to Apple. Make sure to include detailed information.
Can I install the iOS 17 public beta without a computer?
Yes, the entire public beta enrollment and installation process can be done directly on your iPhone, no computer required.
Will my iOS 17 public beta data transfer over when I update to the official iOS 17 release?
Yes, when you install the final iOS 17 release your data, settings, and apps will transfer over normally from the public beta.
Installing the iOS 17 public beta is an exciting way to experience Apple’s latest innovations before the public release. This guide has walked through how to safely install the beta, test out the new features, and provided tips for running beta software. As beta software is test code, caution should be exercised, but the iOS 17 public beta gives you a glimpse into the future of iPhone. Enjoy exploring iOS 17!