Delete imessage apps use iOS 17 brings exciting new features and updates to the Messages app, including additional iMessage apps to help you communicate in fun new ways. While many of the built-indelete imessage apps use iOS 17 are great additions to your messaging experience, you may eventually want to delete imessage apps in iOS 17 you no longer use to clean up your Messages interface.
Deleting an iMessage app on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 17 is straightforward, but the process is a bit hidden in the settings. This guide will walk you through the step-by-step instructions to delete iMessage apps you no longer want.
Recent Released:How to Create and Use Stickers on iOS 17
iMessage apps allow you to add interactive features and functionality to your conversations, like sending stickers, playing games, collaborating on lists, and more. Apple includes several built-in iMessage apps with iOS, and you can download additional third-party iMessage apps from the App Store.
Over time, you may accumulate iMessage apps you no longer use or want cluttering up your Messages interface. Thankfully, you can easily delete iMessage apps you no longer need – here’s how.
Locate the iMessage Apps List
To delete an iMessage app from your device, you first need to access the list of your current iMessage apps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Messages” option.
- On the Messages settings screen, tap on “iMessage Apps” (it’s near the bottom).
This will open the list of your current iMessage apps that came preloaded on your device or that you’ve downloaded from the App Store.
Identify the App to Delete
Scan through the list of your iMessage apps and locate the app you want to delete.
Apps made by Apple have blue icons next to them, while third-party iMessage apps have circular icons. Tap on the app to see details like file size if you need to confirm it’s the one you intend to delete.
Delete the Unwanted App
Once you’ve identified the iMessage app you no longer want, deleting it takes two quick steps:
- Tap the red minus button next to the app’s name.
- On the deletion confirmation prompt, tap “Delete” to remove the app from your device.
That’s all there is to it! The iMessage app will be deleted from your Messages interface and will no longer be available when composing new messages.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions about deleting iOS iMessage apps:
Does deleting an iMessage app also delete the regular iOS app?
No, deleting an iMessage app does not delete or remove the main iOS app it is related to. For example, deleting the iMessage App Store app will remove the ability to access the App Store from within your conversations, but the App Store app will remain installed on your home screen.
Can I redownload a deleted iMessage app?
Yes, most iMessage apps can be redownloaded from the App Store even after you delete them from your Messages interface. The exception is any apps that have been removed from the App Store by the developer. As long as the iMessage app is still available for download, you can install it again after deletion.
Will my previous conversations using the deleted iMessage app be affected?
No, deleting an iMessage app does not affect or delete previous conversations where you used that app. All previous messages will remain intact. However, you will no longer be able to access the deleted app’s features or content in older conversations.
What happens to stickers from a deleted iMessage app?
If you delete an iMessage app that included stickers, the stickers will also be deleted from your Messages app. You’ll no longer be able to use those stickers when composing new messages.
Can I delete built-in iMessage apps from Apple?
No, the default iMessage apps that come preinstalled by Apple cannot be deleted. These include apps like Messages, Music, App Store, and more. You can only delete third-party iMessage apps downloaded from the App Store.
For quick reference, here are the steps to delete an iMessage app in iOS 17 again:
- Open Settings and tap “Messages”.
- Tap “iMessage Apps”.
- Locate the app you want to delete.
- Tap the red minus button next to the app.
- Tap “Delete” to confirm.
And that’s all there is to it! The app will be removed from your Messages interface so it’s no longer available when messaging.
Deleting Multiple iMessage Apps
If you want to delete multiple iMessage apps at the same time, the process works the same way:
- Go to your iMessage apps list in Settings.
- Tap the red deletion button next to each app you want to remove.
- Confirm each deletion when prompted.
Deleting multiple apps simultaneously can help you clear out clutter from your Messages interface more efficiently. Just be sure you don’t accidentally delete anything you still want!
You can always redownload most apps later if needed. Built-in Apple apps will remain permanently installed.
Managing iMessage Apps
In addition to deleting iMessage apps you no longer want, there are a few other management tips that can help keep your Messages interface organized:
- Rearrange your iMessage apps – From the iMessage apps list, you can use the three line “grip” icon to drag and drop apps to reorder them. Put your most used apps first for easy access.
- Turn off app visibility – If you don’t want an app to show up in your message composer but don’t want to delete it, turn off the visibility toggle on that app’s settings screen.
- Review app permissions – Check what information each third-party iMessage app can access and turn off access if needed.
- Update apps – Keep your iMessage apps up-to-date by checking for any available updates in the App Store. Updates may add useful new messaging features.
Properly managing your collection of iMessage apps will allow you to take full advantage of their creative messaging capabilities without clutter and disorganization.
iMessage App Alternatives
If you’re looking for different iMessage apps to replace any you delete, here are some top picks to consider in various categories:
- Stickers: Line Friends, AvatarMoji, and WOWWEEMOJI provide tons of fun and expressive stickers.
- Games: GamePigeon lets you play classics like pool, poker, and more in chat.
- Polls: For quick polls and surveys, check out Straw Poll or Thumbs Up.
- Productivity: Coordinating with iTranslate or Todo makes conversing and task managing a breeze.
- Photos: Relive for iMessage lets you create sharable collages from your photo library.
- Effects: Prisma and Infltr convert photos into artistic styles and filters right in Messages.
The App Store has dozens of amazing iMessage apps across many helpful and entertaining categories, so take time to explore all the options!
Deleting unwanted iMessage apps is a great way to streamline your messaging interface and remove clutter on your iPhone or iPad. With just a few taps in Settings, you can get rid of iMessage apps you no longer use or want installed on your device.
Just remember that deleting an iMessage app doesn’t remove the main iOS app it’s related to. You can always reinstall most iMessage apps later if needed. But regularly pruning your installed selection helps keep Messages organized. Now that you know how to delete iMessage apps in iOS 17, you can ensure your Messages interface only contains your current favorites. Try out some new iMessage apps if the ones you have now are stale, and have fun communicating in creative new ways!