use iOS 17 Face ID works in landscape has become an integral part of the iPhone experience ever since it was first introduced with the Use iOS 17 Face ID in Landscape Mode in 2017. The sophisticated 3D facial recognition system allows you to securely unlock your iPhone, authorize purchases, and log into apps just by looking at your device.
With the launch of iOS 17, Apple has made Face ID even more convenient to use by enabling it to work in landscape orientation. This means you can now unlock your iPhone use iOS 17 Face ID works in landscape even when holding your device horizontally.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know to use iOS 17 Face ID works in landscape, including:
How Face ID Landscape Mode Works
The Face ID system uses advanced sensors and cameras to create a precise depth map of your face. This allows Face ID to identify you accurately even when viewing your face from different angles.
Enabling landscape mode takes advantage of the expanded field of view of the TrueDepth camera system. By holding your iPhone horizontally, Face ID can see more of your face and still recognize you even when part of your face is obscured or out of view.
This makes use iOS 17 Face ID works in landscape just as convenient no matter how you hold your iPhone. You don’t need to adjust your grip or lift the device to unlock it – just look at the screen normally and Face ID will do the rest.
Recent Released:How To Delete iMessage Apps in iOS 17 [Complete Guide]
Compatible iPhone Models
use iOS 17 Face ID works in landscape is available on the following iPhone models running iOS 17:
- iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 13 and Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max
- iPhone 12 and Mini
So if you have one of the recent iPhone models from the past few years, you can take advantage of this new feature.
For older iPhones like the iPhone XR or 11 that only have Face ID in portrait orientation, you’ll still need to position your phone vertically to unlock it with Face ID.
How to Set Up Face ID Landscape Mode
Setting up Face ID to work in landscape mode is quick and simple:
- Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode when prompted.
- Scroll down and toggle on the “Allow Face ID in Landscape” option.
- Position your face in landscape orientation within the Face ID setup frame.
- Gently move your head in a circle to capture all angles of your face.
Face ID will then save a depth map of your face in landscape view to securely recognize you from different horizontal angles.
The setup only takes a few seconds, and then you’re all set to start using Face ID in landscape orientation across iOS.
Unlocking Your iPhone in Landscape
Once Face ID landscape mode is enabled, you can unlock your iPhone by:
- Holding your iPhone horizontally. Face ID will automatically scan your face without needing to press any buttons.
- Swiping up from the bottom of the lock screen. The phone will recognize you and take you straight to the home screen.
- Waking your iPhone by pressing the Side button. After a quick Face ID scan, your iPhone will unlock.
In any orientation, all you need to do is look at the iPhone normally as you would when using apps or playing games. Face ID does the rest!
Using Face ID Landscape for Purchases and Logins
Aside from unlocking your iPhone, you can also authorize payments, app downloads, and logins using Face ID landscape mode:
- Pay with Apple Pay – When making a payment in stores, just hold your iPhone horizontally to double-click the Side button and authorize with Face ID.
- Download apps – Face ID now works when your iPhone is oriented horizontally in the App Store to download free apps or make purchases.
- Third-party app login – Apps like banking, social media, and productivity apps that support Face ID logins will also work in landscape orientation.
Basically, anywhere that required Face ID previously will now recognize you when holding your iPhone horizontally. Face ID landscape support makes iPhone authentication faster and more intuitive across the board.
Troubleshooting Face ID Landscape
While Face ID landscape works seamlessly for most people, you may run into issues getting it set up properly or working consistently. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Update to the latest iOS version – Make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 17, as older iOS versions do not support landscape Face ID. Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for the latest updates.
- Re-enter passcode – If Face ID landscape mode isn’t working, re-enter your passcode which will re-enable Face ID and allow you to try landscape mode again.
- Adjust grip – Try holding your iPhone in either portrait or landscape orientation, depending on your iPhone model. The sensor position can impact Face ID performance.
- Position face properly – When setting up Face ID, make sure your entire face fits clearly within the viewfinder frame. Slowly turn your head so Face ID can capture your face from all angles.
- Reset Face ID – If it still doesn’t work, reset Face ID under Face ID & Passcode settings and set it up from scratch again. Be sure to add both portrait and landscape views.
- Contact Apple Support – For persistent issues with Face ID in landscape orientation, contact Apple Support for further troubleshooting assistance.
With a few quick troubleshooting steps, you should be able to get Face ID working smoothly no matter how you hold your iPhone.
Face ID Landscape – Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about using Face ID in landscape orientation:
Is Face ID less secure in landscape mode?
No, Face ID is just as secure in landscape orientation. The sophisticated 3D facial mapping technology works accurately from any angle.
Do I need to set up Face ID separately for landscape?
Yes, you need to position your face in landscape view during Face ID setup so it can properly map your face at wider angles.
What iPhones work with landscape Face ID?
iPhone models from iPhone 12 and later running iOS 17 or higher support Face ID in both portrait and landscape orientations.
Can I disable landscape Face ID?
Yes, you can toggle off the “Allow Face ID in Landscape” option in Face ID settings to restrict it to portrait only.
How do I troubleshoot issues with landscape Face ID?
Make sure your software is up to date, re-enter your passcode, adjust your grip, reposition your face in the frame, and reset Face ID if needed. Contact Apple Support if issues persist.
Does landscape Face ID work with Apple Pay?
Yes, you can now authorize Apple Pay transactions by double-clicking the Side button and looking at your iPhone horizontally.
The addition of Face ID landscape support in iOS 17 makes iPhone face authentication much more effortless. Now you don’t have to worry about adjusting your grip or lifting your phone for Face ID – it works instantly no matter the orientation.
Just remember to set up Face ID properly with both horizontal and vertical views of your face. Position yourself clearly within the viewfinder frame during setup.
Unlocking, payments, downloads, and logins are all seamless with landscape enabled. Troubleshoot any issues by updating software, re-entering your passcode, resetting Face ID, or contacting Apple.
Overall, Face ID landscape makes iPhone security faster, more convenient, and works intuitively as you use your device throughout the day. No need to compromise between security and convenience – with Face ID, you get the best of both worlds.