TikTok is one of the most popular social media apps,Fix TikTok Restricted Mode Error allowing users to create and share short videos. However, sometimes users encounter the frustrating “age-restricted” error message when trying to view content. This occurs when TikTok’s Restricted Mode is enabled, filtering out videos that may be inappropriate for younger audiences. Fortunately, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can follow to disable Restricted Mode and regain access to all TikTok content.
Recent Released: What is Stolen Device Protection for iPhone
What is TikTok’s Restricted Mode?
TikTok’s Restricted Mode is a feature that limits the appearance of content that may be inappropriate for younger users. When Restricted Mode is turned on, you may see an overlay on some videos saying “This video may be inappropriate for some audiences.” The video’s audio will be muted as well.
Restricted Mode aims to create a safer and more controlled TikTok viewing experience. It uses algorithms to filter out mature content like violence, explicit language, nudity, or topics related to illegal drug use. The feature also blocks search results that may link to problematic content.
TikTok automatically enables Restricted Mode for users under 18 years old. However, users of any age can turn on this filtering option if they wish to create a limited, controlled feed. Parents may also enable Restricted Mode for their teen’s account to monitor their TikTok activity.
Why Am I Getting the Age-Restricted Error on TikTok?
If you have Restricted Mode enabled, you’ll likely come across the “age-restricted” error banner frequently when viewing TikToks. This overlay states:
“This video may be inappropriate for certain audiences. I understand and want to proceed.”
You’ll then have to tap “I understand and want to proceed” to continue watching the TikTok video.
This error indicates the video has been flagged under Restricted Mode parameters for containing mature content. If you’re over 18 years old, getting hit with age-restricted videos can be annoying. The good news is this issue can be easily fixed.
How to Turn Off TikTok Restricted Mode
- Step#1. Open your TikTok app and go to your profile page by tapping the “Me” tab.
- Step#2. Tap the three-dot menu button in the top right corner.
- Step#3. Select “Settings and privacy” from the menu.
- Step#4. Choose “Digital Wellbeing” under the Settings section.
- Step#5. Tap on “Restricted Mode” and toggle it off.
- Step#6. Enter your Restricted Mode passcode when prompted.
Once you turn off Restricted Mode, you should stop seeing any age-restricted error messages in TikTok. All videos will play as normal.
Summary of Steps:
- Step#1. Go to your TikTok profile
- Step#2. Open settings
- Step#3. Select “Digital Wellbeing”
- Step#4. Turn off “Restricted Mode”
- Step#5. Enter passcode
Fixing Age-Restricted Videos If Restricted Mode is Already Disabled
What if Restricted Mode is already turned off, but you’re still getting age-restricted content errors in TikTok?
A few other troubleshooting tips can resolve this:
- Update the app – Download the latest version of TikTok as there could be a bug causing this glitch in older versions.
- Check account privacy settings – Accounts for users under 18 are set to private by default. Change your account to public in settings if you are over 18.
- Change your date of birth – TikTok may have the wrong birth date stored, thinking you’re under 18. Edit your profile and enter your real date of birth.
- Contact TikTok support – Reach out to TikTok’s customer service via email or social media for additional help disabling Restricted Mode.
- Create a new account – As a last resort, make a new TikTok account with an over 18 birth date to bypass viewing restrictions.
Summary of Additional Solutions:
- Step#1. Update the TikTok app
- Step#2. Make sure your account is public
- Step#3. Change your date of birth in settings
- Step#4. Reach out to TikTok customer support
- Step#5. Create a new TikTok account
Setting Up TikTok Restricted Mode (For Parents)
While Restricted Mode can be annoying if you want to see all content, it does serve a purpose for parents who want to monitor their child’s TikTok feed.
Here is a brief guide on how to set up Restricted Mode for your teen’s account:
- Step#1. Have your child log into their TikTok account.
- Step#2. Go to your child’s profile page and tap the three-dot menu.
- Step#3. Select “Settings and privacy” then “Digital Wellbeing.”
- Step#4. Turn on “Restricted Mode” and confirm.
- Step#5. Create a 4-digit passcode for Restricted Mode.
With Restricted Mode enabled, your child will no longer be able to view content marked as inappropriate. You can also use TikTok’s Family Pairing feature to monitor your child’s activity.
Contacting TikTok Support
If you continue struggling with removing age restrictions even after troubleshooting, you can reach out to TikTok support for additional help. Here are some ways to get in touch with customer service:
- In-app support – Tap your profile, go to “Settings and Privacy” then “Report a Problem” to contact TikTok
- Email – Send an email to TikTok’s customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social media – Message TikTok support accounts on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram
When contacting TikTok support, provide details on the issue you’re experiencing along with your username. Support can look into why you may still be getting age-restricted content with Restricted Mode disabled.
Dealing with age-restricted videos preventing you from viewing TikTok content can certainly be annoying. However, the solution is often as simple as just toggling off Restricted Mode in your app settings. Double check that your account privacy is set to public if you are over 18 years old. Updating the app or creating a new account can also help resolve glitches with age filtering. For parents who want to control what their teens see, be sure to set up Restricted Mode properly. And if all else fails, TikTok’s customer support team can lend a hand. With the right troubleshooting, you’ll be happily scrolling through TikTok without limitations in no time.
To Know Why Is TikTok Asking for a Passcode on iPhone! Visit Here