Apple’s ios 17 come out operating system powers millions of iPhones around the world. Each September, Apple releases a major update to ios 17 come out with new features and improvements. iOS 17 is the next big update coming in 2023. In this article, we’ll take an in-depth look at when iOS 17 will be released, what new features it may include, and what iPhones will be compatible with the latest version.
Recent Released: Updating an Old iPad to iOS 15: A Complete Guide
first unveiled by Apple at their annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on June 5, 2023. This yearly conference allows Apple to showcase upcoming software updates for their various platforms, including iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.
Based on Apple’s software release history,will likely be available to the public in September 2023, most likely during the second or third week.
For reference, here are the release dates for the last several major versions of iOS:
- iOS 16: September 12, 2022
- iOS 15: September 20, 2021
- iOS 14: September 16, 2020
- iOS 13: September 19, 2019
- 12: September 17, 2018
As you can see, Apple aims to release new versions in mid-September. will follow a similar schedule.
Now let’s take a deeper look at when specifically we can expect to launch.
Although Apple has not confirmed an exact release date for iOS 17, we can make an educated guess based on past release timelines.
Announcement and Beta
- June 5, 2023 – Apple announced iOS 17 and released the first developer beta at WWDC.
- July 2023 – Public beta of iOS 17 expected to be released to public beta testers.
- August/September 2023 – Apple will release several more developer and public beta versions leading up to release.
- Mid-September 2023 – Based on previous launches, iOS 17 will likely be released between Monday, September 11 and Wednesday, September 13.
- The release date is usually 1-2 days before new iPhone models go on sale.
- September 15, 2023 – New iPhone models with iOS 17 pre-installed expected to go on sale.
So in summary, you can expect to get your hands on iOS 17 sometime in mid-September 2023, unless Apple changes its usual release pattern.
iPhones with iOS 16 already installed will be able to update to iOS 17 over-the-air for free. The iOS 17 update will roll out to supported devices over the course of a week or two after release.
compatible with the following iPhones:
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
Based on Apple’s software support policy, iOS 17 will likely drop support for the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and first generation iPhone SE, as those devices were supported for approximately 5-6 years.
The iPad will also get a major update in the form of iPadOS 17. This release will support all of the same iPad models as iPadOS 16.
What’s New Features ?
Apple did not confirm many details about features and improvements during the announcement at WWDC. However, based on leaks and rumors, we have some idea of the new features coming in iOS 17.
Here are some of the rumored updates:
- New multitasking features – The iPadOS 17 update is expected to expand multitasking capabilities with better windowing support for using multiple apps on the screen at once.
- Home screen customization – Apple may allow further home screen widget and icon customization options, such as placing widgets wherever you want.
- Always-On Display – The Always-On Display feature currently only on iPhone 14 Pro models may come to more iPhone models.
- Messages improvements – iOS 17 could bring more collaboration features to Messages, such as shared whiteboards and better @mentions.
- Apple AR/VR headset integration – iOS 17 may lay the groundwork for integrating with Apple’s long-rumored AR/VR headset.
- Sleep tracking – Native sleep tracking capabilities could be integrated into the Health app.
- Car crash detection – Car crash detection features added to the iPhone 14 lineup in iOS 16 could expand to more iPhone models.
Since early development, the final feature list is subject to change. We’ll learn more as we get closer to the iOS 17 release date.
Based on Apple’s software release cycle, you can expect to launch in mid-September 2023, likely during the second week. Eligible iPhones will be able to update for free when it is released.
promises to bring new features like enhanced multitasking on iPadOS, always-on display, and more customization options. While full details remain limited, the update should include improvements across the system and stock apps.
Updating will ensure you have access to the latest features, security updates, and performance optimizations for your iPhone. For recommended upgrade tips when installing , check out our iOS update guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about the upcoming iOS 17 update.
When will be announced?
Apple announced iOS 17 on June 5, 2023 at its Worldwide Developers Conference.
When does iOS 17 come out?
Current rumors point to being released in mid-September 2023, likely during the second week.
What date will iOS 17 be available?
While an exact date is not yet known, the iOS 17 release date will likely fall between Monday, September 11 and Wednesday, September 13, 2023.
Will my iPhone get iOS 17?
iOS 17 will be compatible with iPhone models going back to the iPhone X and newer. Some older models like the iPhone 6s may be dropped from support.
How can I get iOS 17 on my iPhone?
Once released, you will be able to update to iOS 17 for free over-the-air. Go to Settings > General > Software Update and tap Download and Install when the update appears.
What new features will be in iOS 17?
Rumored features include new iPadOS multitasking capabilities, always-on display for more iPhones, Home screen widget placement, Messages improvements, and more.
Will iOS 17 work on iPad?
Yes, the iPad will also get a major software update in iOS 17 with iPadOS 17. This will bring many of the same new features as the iPhone update.
Should I wait for iOS 17 or update to iOS 16?
If your device is compatible, it’s generally recommended to keep your iPhone up-to-date with the latest OS version for the best experience. Upgrading to iOS 16 now will allow you to access all of its new features ahead of iOS 17.
Table of iOS Release Dates
|iOS Version||Release Date|
|iOS 16||September 12, 2022|
|iOS 15||September 20, 2021|
|iOS 14||September 16, 2020|
|iOS 13||September 19, 2019|
|iOS 12||September 17, 2018|
|iOS 11||September 19, 2017|
|iOS 10||September 13, 2016|
|iOS 9||September 16, 2015|
|iOS 8||September 17, 2014|
|iOS 7||September 18, 2013|