SharePlay is a feature that allows you to watch, listen, and play together with friends and family while on a FaceTime call.
FaceTime, the popular video calling service provided by Apple, has introduced an exciting new feature called SharePlay. With SharePlay, you can seamlessly enjoy movies, TV shows, and even games with your loved ones while engaging in a FaceTime call. Whether you want to watch a thrilling movie, listen to your favorite music, or play a competitive game, SharePlay offers a fun and interactive way to connect with others remotely. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to use SharePlay on an iPhone and explore some important aspects of this exciting feature.
Update your iPhone to iOS 15.1 or later.
Before diving into the world of SharePlay, make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 15.1 or a later version. SharePlay is a feature exclusively available on the latest operating system, so updating your device is essential to access its capabilities. To update your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “General.”
- Select “Software Update.”
- If an update is available, tap on “Download and Install” to initiate the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
Start a FaceTime call with the person you want to use SharePlay with.
Once your iPhone is updated, you can start using SharePlay during a FaceTime call. To begin, follow these steps:
- Launch the FaceTime app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “+” button at the top right corner of the screen to start a new call.
- Enter the contact name or phone number of the person you want to connect with.
- Tap on their name in the search results to initiate the FaceTime call.
Swipe up from the bottom edge of the FaceTime call to access the Control Center.
While on a FaceTime call, accessing the Control Center allows you to enable SharePlay and enhance your shared experience. To access the Control Center, follow these steps:
- During the FaceTime call, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
- The Control Center will appear, providing you with various options and controls.
Open a video streaming app that supports SharePlay.
To enjoy movies or TV shows together, you’ll need to open a video streaming app that supports SharePlay. Several popular apps are compatible with SharePlay, including:
- Apple TV+
- HBO Max
- Prime Video
Open the desired app on your iPhone, and make sure it is updated to the latest version to ensure compatibility with SharePlay.
Must Read : How To Use Live Photos on an iPhone
Choose a movie or show and tap play, then select SharePlay if it appears.
Once you’ve opened a video streaming app, it’s time to select a movie or TV show and initiate SharePlay. Follow these steps:
- Browse through the available content and choose a movie or show you’d like to watch.
- Tap on the play button to start playing the selected content.
- If SharePlay is supported for the chosen content, a SharePlay option may appear on the screen. Select SharePlay to enable the feature.
Others on the call might have to tap Join SharePlay to see the video.
When you initiate SharePlay, others participating in the FaceTime call might need to tap the “Join SharePlay” button to view the shared video. This step ensures that everyone is synced up and can enjoy the content simultaneously.
Playback controls are shared by everyone watching, so anyone can play, pause, rewind, or fast forward.
One of the remarkable aspects of SharePlay is the shared playback controls. This means that anyone watching can take control of the playback, allowing everyone to have an equal say in what’s happening. Whether you want to play, pause, rewind, or fast forward, all participants can actively engage with the shared content.
Changing settings like closed captioning and volume affect only your device.
When using SharePlay, it’s important to note that settings such as closed captioning and volume adjustments only affect your personal device. Each participant has the freedom to customize their viewing experience according to their preferences, without affecting others’ settings.
Use AirPlay to send what you’re watching in SharePlay to Apple TV.
If you have an Apple TV, you can take advantage of AirPlay to stream the content you’re watching via SharePlay directly to your television. This feature allows you to enjoy a larger screen and a more immersive experience. To use AirPlay with SharePlay, follow these steps:
- Ensure your iPhone and Apple TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- While in the SharePlay session, swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to access the Control Center.
- Tap on the AirPlay button.
- Select your Apple TV from the available options to start streaming the SharePlay content.
1. Can I use SharePlay on devices other than an iPhone?
Yes, SharePlay is available on various Apple devices, including iPhones, iPads, and Macs. As long as the device is running iOS 15.1 or a later version, you can enjoy SharePlay seamlessly.
2. Can I use SharePlay with multiple people on a FaceTime call?
Absolutely! SharePlay allows you to connect with multiple participants during a FaceTime call and enjoy shared content together. It’s a fantastic way to have virtual watch parties or collaborative gaming sessions.
3. Do all participants need to have the same streaming app for SharePlay to work?
No, participants do not need to have the same streaming app. SharePlay supports various streaming apps, and as long as everyone has access to the content through their respective apps, SharePlay will enable a synchronized experience.
4. Can I use SharePlay with non-Apple users?
Unfortunately, SharePlay is a feature exclusive to Apple devices. It is currently not available for non-Apple users or platforms.
5. Is SharePlay available for audio calls or group chats?
SharePlay is primarily designed for video content, such as movies, TV shows, and games. It is not available for audio-only calls or group chatswhere participants can share music or audio content.
6. Can I control the volume or closed captioning settings for everyone during a SharePlay session?
No, each participant can control the volume and closed captioning settings on their own device. These settings are personal and do not affect others’ devices or preferences.
SharePlay is an exciting feature that allows you to watch, listen, and play together with friends and family while on a FaceTime call. By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can easily enjoy shared content and enhance your virtual connections. Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version, start a FaceTime call, and open a compatible video streaming app to begin your SharePlay experience. Remember to ensure that all participants have access to the content and meet the minimum system requirements. SharePlay offers a fun and interactive way to connect with loved ones, even when physically apart.