iOS 17 will be the seventeenth major iPhone operating system from Apple. The iPhone maker hasn’t announced anything about the upcoming iOS update, but some industry analysts expect features including dual apps, split screen, improved lock screen widget support, and a redesigned iMessage app.
In a nutshell, iOS 17 is a significant update that will bring some amazing new features and improvements to iPhones.
iOS 17 is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
iOS 16 supports iPhone 8 and later models, so it will not be compatible with iOS 17. Apple typically provides support for devices that are less than 5 years old.
The iPhone X was released in November 2017, two months after the release date of the iPhone 8 series. However, iOS 17 will support the iPhone X for sure, along with the iPhone SE (2nd generation).
Everything will be clear when iOS 17 launches at Apple’s WWDC June 2023 event. Just like every year, Apple will host the Worldwide Developers Conference in June next year and launch the iOS 17 beta for developers.
Traditionally, it will be available to all users with the release of the iPhone 15 series in September 2023.
Hence, ensure that you have a compatible iOS 17 device. You would not want to miss the new features that will come with the new update.